Sometimes, if you have not ever had your video windows working in the lesson space, you may not have selected your webcam or, if you have more than one webcam, it could be using the wrong one.
- The first thing to check is whether you are allowing MyTutor's online lesson space to use your webcam. You can see exactly how to do that here: https://help.mytutor.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/213622489-How-do-I-enable-my-camera-and-microphone-in-the-browser-
- If you have more than one webcam, for example if you are using an external webcam rather than the one that comes with your laptop, it is important to make sure that you select the correct one when you enable your webcam.
- If you have selected the correct webcam, but the video is not working at all or is just showing up as black, it can be a good idea to try in an incognito window (ctrl+shift+N) in Google Chrome, or in a private window in Firefox (ctrl+shift+P).
- If this does not work, sometimes switching browsers, so trying Firefox rather than Chrome or vice versa, can solve the problem. This means that it is probably a browser issue.
- As a last resort, if your webcam has never worked with MyTutor, the problem may be with your webcam's drivers. You can normally update these from the website of your laptop manufacturer.
- It can also be useful to check whether your webcam works with other applications, if you can use your webcam with applications other than MyTutor, then the webcam itself is working fine. If this is not the case, then the webcam itself might well be broken.