You can run the online lesson space directly from your laptop, desktop or tablet.
Here is a checklist to ensure that you are ready for your first session.
You will need:
- Headphones with a microphone (like those you may use with your phone).
- Please note that using Apple earphones on a Mac may cause an irritating echo.
- A reasonable broadband connection.
- We recommend using a wired connection if possible.
- You'll need at least 2MB/s upload and download speed.
- You can check your internet speed here: http://www.speedtest.net/
FAQ: How can I improve my internet connection?
- Use Google Chrome on a Windows PC or Safari on a Mac as your browser.
- Our lesson space is not compatible with Edge or Internet Explorer on any devices.
- A working webcam
- This is not essential, but will mean the best interaction possible with your tutor. The webcam is compulsory for all tutors.
Optional but recommended:
- A writing tablet
Writing tablets allow both tutors and students to use handwriting on the lesson space, and mimics sharing a piece of work between student and tutor. These can be purchased from around £20 on websites like Amazon - browse writing tablets on Amazon here.
Although we do not recommend a specific tablet, our tutors often use Huion tablets as they have found they are particularly good value.
The affordable and compact Huion H420 tablet can be purchased online here.
This tablet support both Windows and Mac!If you have an iPad or iPhone and a Mac, you can turn your iPhone or iPad into a writing tablet using an app like Astropad, which is pretty handy!