This article will hopefully cover the main problems that occur before and during an interview.
Prior to the Interview
‘I can’t find my link’
If a tutor is unable to enter the online lesson space because they do not have their interview link:
- Resend the link from the tutor’s NED page, and ensure the correct date is selected
- Ask the tutor to check their university email
- Ask the tutor to check their junk folder
‘The online lesson space isn’t loading’
- Ensure the tutor's laptop/computer is connected to the internet
- Move closer to the router
- Connect to the internet using an Ethernet cable
During the Interview
These solutions often solve most problems:
- Log out and back into the lesson space (make sure that the page refreshes)
- On Apple – use Firefox
- On Windows – use Chrome or Firefox
- Restart the computer
Audio Problems – sound not working
- Is their mic turned up?
Ask the tutor to check that their microphone is turned up (and not muted)
- Is their mic allowed access (top right hand corner – click on the camera icon and ‘allow access’)?
- Is their mic configured for use in the lesson space? – this can be checked in Control Panel (on Windows) and System Preferences (on Mac)
Audio Problems – feedback loop/echo
Who is experiencing the echo? If you (the interviewer) can hear your own voice repeated back to you, then the problem is at the other end.
- Make sure both the interviewer and tutor have headphones connected
- Are they using Apple headphones with a Mac? – if so, change headphones.
NB: If the tutor does not have any other earphones, persevere with the interview until the end, and advise that before they can start tutoring on the site, they will need to acquire alternative earphone/headphones
- Is the lesson space open in two tabs?
Who can see who? It is generally a problem on the end of the person who is not broadcasting video
- Is there a webcam built into the laptop, or is it an external webcam?
- Did the video work in the setup test?
- Is their video allowed access (top right hand corner – click on the camera icon and ‘allow access’)?
- If there is a delay, it may be that the tutor does not have adequate internet speed. Can they move closer to the router or turn off other streaming services?
- If the video freezes and then comes through in short bursts – can they move closer to the router or turn off other streaming services?
If possible, as the tutor to connect to the internet using an ethernet cable for both delayed video and frozen video feeds. This will help to strengthen internet speed.