If something isn’t working as you expect it to, we’ve put together a list of quick fixes to help. You should be able to do these in just a few minutes!
- Make sure you're running the lesson space in the Google Chrome browser. If you’re using an iPad, you’ll need to use Safari.
- Try running your browser in 'incognito mode'. You can do this while your internet browser is open by pressing ctrl+shift+n on a Windows PC, or cmd+shift+n on a Mac. You can see our full FAQ on this here.
- Check if your computer needs updates. Time is precious, and we don't always get around to updating our devices, but it's super important! If you do need to update your device, make sure it's complete before your next lesson.
- You can do this via Settings > Updates & Security on a Windows PC.
- On a Mac go to the App Store, or System Preferences > Software Update. You can find the most recent version of macOS on this Apple support page.
- Check your computer is using the right sound device.
- Head to Settings > System > Sound on a Windows PC and you'll be able to change devices using the drop down menus.
- On a Mac you can head to System Preferences > Sound then simply click on the right devices. You'll also be able to see from here if any devices are muted.
- Restart your computer! Sometimes turning it off and on again is the best solution. Computers have a lot going on, turning them off clears out their short-term memory. This means they start afresh ready to handle whatever the hardware needs to do. In this case, your online lesson.
- We have recently come across an issue with Lenovo laptops blocking access to the users cameras and microphones. If you are having permissions issues (camera or microphone showing as working on the test lesson space etc but the tutor can not hear or see you) and you have a Lenovo laptop - then this is the first place to start.
In this case you can uninstall 'Lenovo vantage' as this is what causes the above issue.
- Click on the windows/start/home button at the bottom left of your task bar
- Type in 'Lenovo' or 'Vantage' (Normally there is only one but occasionally there may be two)
- Right click on the application and choose 'Uninstall'
- If you’re still having trouble in your lesson, don’t worry. We have lots of technical support articles for the specific issues you may be having - click on this link to browse the full selection.