We understand that it can be a bit difficult to get pupils to engage with their MyTutor lessons, especially if they’re struggling with their learning.
MyTutor lessons have maximum impact when pupils have high attendance, as this allows them to build a strong relationship with their tutors.
To support you in achieving this, we’ve worked across our schools to collate lots of ideas on how to help (and keep) pupils engaged!
Ask your pupils how they’re feeling about their lessons
- If a pupil feels that they would get more out of their lessons by having a different tutor, just let us know and we can look into a new match. Some pupils benefit from a tutor of the same gender, and we’re more than happy to make tutor swaps in this case.
- Whilst having the camera and microphone will help you to make the most of your lessons, it can be daunting for some pupils at first. If they’re nervous, let them know that they can keep these off until they feel more comfortable.
- Encourage pupils to explore their tutor’s profile, so that they can learn more about them before they start - they can do this from their own pupil account by clicking on their tutor’s name!
Establish a reminder system for your pupils
- Emailing pupils on the morning of their next lesson is a really effective way of improving engagement. And encouraging your fellow teachers to remind pupils before every lesson is super helpful too!
We can even send a reminder to your pupils directly - simply provide an email address, and we’ll do this for you. However, we cannot guarantee our reminders will reach them, as this depends on your school firewall settings.
- Ask pupils to make a note of their weekly lessons in their school planner, to help them remember!
- Make sure the time and day of lessons is still working for your pupils - if their timetables have changed, we can help you to adjust their MyTutor lessons accordingly.
Get parents on-side
- Send our MyTutor Letters to families - our findings show that family engagement leads to increased attendance!
- Once parents and carers know all about the programme, encourage them to remind their children to attend their lessons each week. Why not share our parent and pupil cheat sheets with them? This tells them everything they need to know about running MyTutor from home.
- Download individual pupil feedback to send out to parents! This helps them to see how their child is progressing, and encourages them to keep showing support.
Consider replacements to boost overall engagement
- We recommend replacing any pupils who miss two or more lessons in a row. You can track this easily on your teacher account which gives you a breakdown of your attendance!
- If not, you can easily replace them with another pupil who would engage more with the programme - here’s our FAQ on how you can do this.
For more tips and tricks from schools who’ve run super successful programmes, check out our MyTutor Blog.