When choosing your students for one-to-one tuition, your main considerations should be:
- Who will benefit most from the extra support? Often this will be your Pupil Premium eligible students and disadvantaged students who are struggling to catch up, but you may also have students who just need that extra push to reach the very top grades
- Who will engage fully with the opportunity on offer? Students will benefit most from their MyTutor lessons by showing up on time every week, ready to learn and open to building a relationship with their new tutor. We advise steering away from students with significant behavioural issues, as we find they often struggle to engage with the programme
The same considerations apply when choosing pupils for three-to-one MyTutor lessons, but there are some extra things to consider when you’re deciding on the groups.
- Make sure pupils grouped together are all working at a similar level
- Our schools have found that grouping best friends together can disrupt focus on the lesson, so it’s important to group together pupils who are comfortable with each other but who will knuckle down together too!
- If a pupil in a group needs replacing, remember to keep these considerations in mind when choosing the new student
Ultimately, you know your pupils best, and we hope that all pupils will enjoy and benefit from sessions with our tutors!